Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Attitude of Gratitude

We made ginger bread houses out of tissue boxes, graham crackers and homemade frosting this past weekend and had a great time doing it. My daughter, for the most part, has an attitude of gratitude that I could surely learn from.
In the course of building the perfect, 'imperfect' house, she had fun adding gummy bears to the roof and exterior walls, with no worry of pattern, color matching or the like. She chose to build her house not based on internal, subconcious constraints of what she thought others would see when she finished, but on what made her the happiest during the course of it's construction.
In addition to decorating her little home with fearless abandon, she enjoyed the opportunity to eat many of these yummy treats (I learned my lesson last year with M&M's disappearing off of the house after she placed them). The best part? She stopped herself when she felt she had had enough sugar to eat. While this isn't always the case, I do have to say that I am proud of her for knowing when enough is enough.
While I am sure I didn't even know real gingerbread existed until I was well into my adulthood, (yes, I made gingerbread houses out of graham crackers when I was young, too), I am certainly glad that she appreciated the experience. Thank goodness for her attitude of gratitude.

No comments: