Monday, September 19, 2011

KAYLA'S TOP 30 before I turn 30 - Celebrate Our Capitol

Me, Skyler, Sadie, Autumn, Jared, Dathan, Missy, Kinsey and RC.

At the Reflecting Pool in DC
Today is another beautiful day in my Top 30 before I turn 30 Count Down! Today - I celebrate our beautiful nation and Washington DC. In the fall of my Junior year, a group of students from my High School went to Washington DC for a Close-Up trip.
There were students from across the country who attended this conference. There were panel discussions, meetings with Senators and of course, lots of sight seeing. This trip provided me with a hands-on and very real perspective of our country and of democracy. I also feel forever grateful for the memories made with my classmates and the roommates we had on the trip. Thanks to the people who put it together - Deanna Jenkins and Coach Andher - you ROCK! I hope kids from PVHS get to go on Close-Up trips forever.

It was my first time on an airplane - which was super cool - and a fantastic trip across the country. Not pictured here are photos of our group sleeping on the floor of DSW and adventuring through the subway systems to our hotel. Also not pictured here are the feelings I felt when I saw The Wall and began to cry ...or any of the other beautiful memories commemorating the harsh, inspiring and often blood drenched history of our country. Humbled, sorrowful and small is exactly how I felt when I ran my hand across the names of all of the fallen. May we never forget our blessings or our fallen heroes.

1 comment:

Sadie said...

It was a such a wonderful trip. I'm so glad we got to go. Looking back at how small our group was I always wonder why more people weren't interested. I loved it so much. Thanks for the memories. ;)