Saturday, November 29, 2008

I love my job! Making Friendships Happen!




So, some of you might wonder what I am doing with all of my time...I get to create friendships! What better job that that? I work for an international nonprofit, Best Buddies, and I get to go around to all of the high schools and match students with and without disabilities into friendship matches....that's the easy way to say it. This is a picture of two students who were matched recently. One student attends The Meadows School and the other is a member of Opportunity Village's Job Discovery Program. The students come from completely different worlds....differnt socioeconomic backgrounds, parts of Las Vegas.....everything! But....they were born 1 year and 2 days apart, they both love to cook and their favorite Christmas song is Frosty the Snowman. These two do not attend the same school (since the Meadows is a private school, they don't have a Special Education Department) so this is not an ordinary circumstance, but the girls got along great! They are going to get together and bake Christmas cookies over the holidays! The other picture is of all the students who currently have Buddies from The Meadows and Job Discovery Program.
Some of the students I have met have never had a phone call on the weekend from anyone other than family! Now they have someone to call them every week! I love what I do!

No comments: